Monday, September 5, 2011

Two hurdles (and a recipe of Sesame Spinach and Chickpea Salad)

I wasn't planning on a Locavore Challenge for September. In fact, I didn't even know about it until September 1.

This shouldn't have been a big deal. As I said in my last post, I've wanted to try to local eating challenge. For most of the summer it would have been pretty easy to jump into. In fact, I've been shopping for so much local food at the farmers market that my weekly supermarket bill has been as little as $20 to $30.

But, two things happened ...

First, my refrigerator got filled up with supermarket vegetables. No, I did not do that. I'm not going to point fingers either, but it happened. And, I can't waste food.

Around the same time, I got on a terrible junk food kick. I was being really good, but I guess I got a little stressed and started eating crap.

When I saw the challenge, I thought it would be a great way to get off the junk food kick. Unfortunately, those horrible habits are hard to break.

Now, in order to not waste the vegetables from far-flung corners, satisfy my junk food craving and still get in my five helpings of local, organic fruits and veggies each day, I'm finding myself overeating.

That's it. TODAY I turn things around. I'll let you know tomorrow morning how it went.

In the meantime, a yummy recipe using some local ingredients, which I give credit to my hubby for whipping up yesterday afternoon:

Sesame Spinach and Chickpea Salad*

  • One bag spinach, finely chopped (from Kilpatrick Family Farm)
  • 3 small carrots, finely diced (from my garden)
  • 1 large red onion (from Kilpatrick Family Farm)
  • 3/4 cup peanuts
  • 1/2 cup craisins
  • 1 15-ounce can chick peas
  • 1 cup edamame
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 T. sesame oil
  • 1 T. cumin
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • oregano
  • cilantro
Chop the carrots, onion, peanuts and craisins finely in a food processor. Chop the spinach as fine as you can by hand. Whisk oils, vinegar and spices together. Mix everything together in a large bowl.

* Measurements are guesstimations. Adjust to suit your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment