Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Backyard carrots: Joy rooted in the simple things

About 20 minutes before leaving for work today, I pulled carrots from my garden.

I washed the dirt off, cut off the ends and popped them in a pot with some potatoes that had been hanging out in my fridge for a few weeks. Covered all with water. They barely boiled for a few minutes before I decided I HAD to leave, so I scooped some out of the pot, leaving the rest to fully cook for the rest of the family.

On the way to work, I realized I should have at least topped the roots with some butter, and worried that I would have a really bland dinner.

Well, here's the joy of eating from your own garden -- The plain carrots, while a bit crunchy, taste amazing! (Yes, I'm writing as I eat my dinner.)

I was, to be honest, feeling a little down the last few days. As simple as those carrots were, along with the roasted chicken they accompanied, that meal was a real pick me up. That meal was tasty, 100 percent local (aside from the spices on the chicken), and part of it came from my backyard.

It really is about the simply things.

No comments:

Post a Comment