Sunday, May 27, 2012

Grilled pac choi

Yesterday, as I will be many Saturdays this summer, I worked with Kilpatrick Family Farm at the farmers market. It might be the best job I've ever had - selling the most awesome veggies in the world to food-loving marketgoers.

Throughout the morning, CSA coordinator Christina, shared her excitement for grilled pac choi. I was already a pac choi/boc choi fan, but hadn't thought of grilling it. Toss it with any dressing, she said, throw it on the grill, then back in the dish with the dressing.

"It will change your life," Chris said.

We had a steak to grill for dinner last night, and a grilled veggie seemed like the perfect accompaniment. Of course, the pac choi I brought home was to be it. But, I didn't have any dressing made, so I looked for inspiration through a quick Google search for "grilled boc choi." (searched boc choi instead of pac choi figuring it was more common, but would be cooked the same way). Based on what I found, this is what I made:

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon grated ginger

All these measurements are approximate, as I didn't measure, or plan on blogging about it, when I made it. If I did it again, I might also add honey.

I whisked those things together, broke off the leaves of the pac choi, then tossed the leaves with the dressing.

I wasn't too sure how long to grill the leaves, but I figured it out as I stood at the grill. Basically, I couldn't get all the leaves laid out on the grill before it was time to flip the first ones. It ended up being about 30 to 45 seconds on each side. But, as I went, I gave up on laying them out too neatly and just threw them on in bunches.

As Chris instructed, I tossed them with the dressing again once the leaves were grilled. Then, I sprinkled some sesame seeds on top in the dish before serving.

Definitely a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment