Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oh, kohlrabi

                                                                                                         (stock image)
 
My boy's new favorite vegetable: Kohlrabi.
 
About two months ago kohlrabi was my new favorite vegetable.
 
Before this winter, I really didn't know what to do with it. I'm not sure why I didn't ask someone. I'm rarely shy about these things. Instead, I just looked at the odd looking vegetable on the market table and passed it up.
 
Then, I heard someone suggest cutting it up to eat in salad, or dip in hummus. Really? I thought it was a veggie for cooking. But, I gave it a try.
 
YES!
 
It really tastes nothing like a cucumber, but somehow I've made it my winter replacement for the cool summer curcubit. Kohlrabi is actually a member of the brassica family -- cousin to broccoli, cabbage and kale. It is crunchy like a radish, but has a cool, mild taste. It's really just plain wonderful.
 
So, ever since I made this discovery, I've been buying one just about every week. I cut it up to add to my salad, and I eat sticks of it along with my carrot sticks. I've offered some to the boy about a dozen times, but each time he's refused with his usual "yuck," UNTIL ...
 
Last week, I cut up veggie sticks for him to eat with hummus. Without saying a thing, I snuck a few kohlrabi sticks in the bowl. Lo and behold, that was the first thing he picked out of the bowl! He even asked for more!
 
And, it wasn't a fluke, he's eaten it again since.
 
I feel like this is proof that constantly offering a large variety of foods despite his relunctance to eat them, is worthwhile.
 
In my never-ending challenge to get my boy to eat new foods and get more veggies in his diet ...
 
SCORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment